Position: Community Health Worker
Reports to: Manager or Director
Location: Mankato, Minnesota (Nicolett, LeSueur, Blue Earth, Brown, Waseca and Nobles)
Classification: Part Time AND Full -Time (.80-1.0 FTE) positions available
Compensation: $18-$24 per hour (non-exempt)
WellShare International envisions a world where your zip code, your skin color, and your birthplace do not determine your access to quality healthcare, and where all people can achieve optimal health and wellness. Join a dynamic team building a new way of community health programming and equity promotion addressing the impact of systemic racism in people’s ability to live healthy lives.
We are a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with a forty-year history of partnering with communities, health care systems, government, and social service providers to promote health equity and wellbeing. Using a community health worker (CHW) model, we work with immigrant communities across Minnesota and with rural communities in Africa. Our programs serve people across the lifespan – including pregnant women, infants, children, youth, adults, and the elderly.
The CHW will work as a part of a team to provide Community Health Worker services to focus area community through a variety of projects and programs. This may include home visits, community outreach, individual and group presentations, teaching ongoing classes and activities, building relationships with individuals and supporting partnerships with community agencies and health practitioners.
The position is based out of Mankato, Minnesota, but will require travel around Southern Minnesota, including surrounding counties, Blue Earth, Brown, LeSueur, Nicollet, Nobles, and Waseca in the southern part of Minnesota. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- Program Implementation and Daily Activities:
- Recruit and maintain an ongoing caseload of clients
- Meet with clients and provide support, education and referrals for care and services
- Provide health education and coaching to clients in individual and group settings
- Co-present at local meetings about educational materials
- Actively seek out clients who need assistance or connection with community
- Maintain accurate and organized program records
- Provide clear and appropriate oral and/or written communication to partners
- Adhere to reporting requirements as outlined by donor agencies
- Keep required data for all visits and support provided
- Participate in trainings planning meetings as scheduled
- Provide content and technical assistance:
- Build relationships with neighborhood organizations and residents
- Facilitate discussion groups within community and target audiences
- Educational Commitment **(if needed)**
- Nine-month program; 300 Hours (17 college credits)
- 15-20-hours/week, in addition to full-time work with WellShare
- $4,000 value for the program; Books are also free for this college certificate
- Nine-month program; 300 Hours (17 college credits)
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Certified ability to complete CHW Certification (at no-cost to you) within 8-months of starting.
- Minimum 1 year of experience working or volunteering to provide health education outreach to individuals.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, Somali, Karen, Amharic, Oromo, and/or Spanish.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated successful outreach, community organizing, and facilitation skills.
- Comfortable working with Somali, Karen, Amharic, Oromo, and/or Spanish-speaking audiences.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when discussing personal information.
- Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, database management, and Internet access.
- Familiarity with focus area terminology, health and social services resources and systems and resources available within the community.
- Access to reliable transportation on a daily basis for outreach purposes
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB
- Use the telephone and communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
- Sit at a desk for extended periods and travel to multiple locations within a day
- Apply manual dexterity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use
- Possess visual acuity to review detailed reports and information
- Must have reliable transportation and must have the ability to go outside during all Minnesota seasons
- Must have a valid driver’s license
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Must be able to use multi-line telephone, calculator, copy machines, computers, and other office equipment.
- Must be able to drive a personal vehicle, possess a valid driver’s license and up-to-date insurance coverage, in order to drive to meetings, activities, and events throughout the State of Minnesota.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com, with Community Health Worker Position in the subject line.
This job description does not necessarily list all the functions or accountabilities of the job. Employees may be asked by management to perform additional duties and tasks outside the scope of this job description or position in order to best serve WellShare’s operational needs. Management reserves the right to revise and update job descriptions at any time.