If you’re looking for some new recipes to try for Thanksgiving this year, be sure to check out our Somali cookbook, featuring Somali foods with a healthier approach. Here’s a different approach to making rice.
Rice with Raisins
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed until liquid is clear
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups water (a little more might be needed)
- ¼ cup of raisins
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a flat bottomed pot.
- Add ½ of the onion, curry, cumin, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Sauté until the onion is slightly clear.
- Stir in the rice and the water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until the rice is tender. This can take between 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Add the other half of the onion and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add the raisins and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the rice on a serving plate and top with the cooked raisins and onions.