Position: Community Health Worker
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Remote Position through WellShare Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN
Classification: Part Time positions available, non-exempt
Compensation: Contracted position: $18 – $22/per hour; 20 hours per week
WellShare International envisions a world where your zip code, your skin color, and your birthplace do not determine your access to quality healthcare, and where all people can achieve optimal health and wellness. Join a dynamic team building a new way of community health programming and social change work to address the impact of systemic racism in people’s ability to live healthy lives.
We are a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with an over forty-year history of partnering with communities, health care systems, government, and social service providers to promote health equity and wellbeing. Using a community health worker (CHW) model, we work with underserved communities in Minnesota and rural Africa. Our programs serve people across the lifespan – including pregnant people, infants, children, youth, adults, and the elderly.
WellShare Community Health Workers (CHW) are the heart of our team’s work to provide individual and group health education, assist people with health system navigation and social service referrals to support people’s ability to live the healthiest life possible. This may include home visits, community outreach, individual and group presentations, teaching ongoing classes and activities, building relationships with individuals and supporting partnerships with community agencies and health practitioners.
Work is conducted primarily during regular business hours, but some evening and weekend hours may be required. This position is based out of the WellShare International headquarters office in Minneapolis, with the potential for remote work as arranged by the program manager. Some projects include regular travel for client engagement around the Twin Cities.
- Program implementation:
○ Assist clients in identifying overall health/life needs and set goals
○ Provide health education and coaching to clients in individual and group settings including health system navigation.
○ Provide referrals for primary and behavioral health care and social services
○ Recruit, intake and maintain participants for programming
○ Develop and maintain partnerships with community organizations and groups
○ Maintain accurate and organized program records
○ Provide clear and appropriate oral and/or written communication to community partners
○ Work cooperatively with partners and stakeholders
○ Adhere to reporting requirements as outlined by donor agencies
○ Electronic health record data-entry may be required
- Provide content and technical assistance:
○ Engage in continuous training and learning to ensure information provided is of high quality and up to date
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for assisting individuals to meet their health goals
- Minimum 1 year of experience in health education and community outreach preferred
- Excellent oral and written skills in English.
- Effective collaboration and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects to meet program deadlines
- Ability to work with a diverse populations (including underrepresented and underserved communities)
- Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, database management, and Internet access.
- Ability to work occasional evening or weekend hours, if needed
- Access to reliable transportation on a daily basis for outreach purposes.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Incumbent must be able to use multi-line telephone, calculator, copy machines, computers, and other office equipment.
- Incumbent must be able to drive a personal vehicle, possess a valid driver’s license and up-to-date insurance coverage, in order to drive to meetings, activities, and events throughout the State of Minnesota.
- Incumbent primarily works in an indoor office setting. Incumbent must be able to go outside in all MN weather conditions and varying temperatures to attend off-site meetings and events.
TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Community Health Worker- Contract” in the subject line.