Position: Community Health Worker
Employment Status: Full-time (40 hours/week); Multiple positions available
Reports to: Program Manager
Supervises: Not applicable
Location: WellShare Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN
WellShare International, a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, partners with diverse communities to promote health and well-being. We envision communities with equitable health care and resources where all individuals living healthy and fulfilling lives. WellShare implements community-based programs with refugees and immigrants in Minnesota and with communities in East Africa.
Position Description (Summary)
The Community Health Worker will provide education and limited case management to parents and caregivers of children 0-5 years old. The position will require travel around the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area.
- Home-based education, screening, and referral:
- Educate clients on early childhood and parenting topics
- Provide screening on early childhood and developmental issues
- Assist clients in accessing medical and social services as needed
- Group classes:
- Assist in identifying topics and speakers of interest to clients
- Engage clients to attend group classes
- Facilitate group classes for clients on various topics.
- Community outreach
- Build trusting relationships with community leaders and members
- Conduct meetings and facilitate community outreach events to educate community leaders and members about the availability of services.
- Recruit eligible community members to participate in services.
- Collect and input required and relevant information into central database/electronic health record.
- Assist with the development/preparation of educational materials.
- Ensure feedback on client needs communicated to appropriate channels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- REQUIRED: Community Health Worker certificate (or willingness to complete within 18 months of hire)
- REQUIRED: Bachelors degree in early childhood education, public health, social work, psychology or other relevant field
- REQUIRED: Excellent oral communications skills in Somali
- REQUIRED: Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- REQUIRED: Proficient ability to use computers and related software, including past experience using an electronic health records system
- Minimum 1 year of experience working or volunteering in community settings
- Minimum 3 years experience working in clinical or early childhood setting
- Knowledge of and experience educating on early childhood topics
- Ability to work collaboratively with team and partners to plan and implement program activities
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
Must be able to:
- Use the telephone and communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
- Apply manual dexterity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use
- Possess visual acuity to review detailed reports and information
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Please send a cover letter and resume to WellShare International, via email: email@example.com. Please put “CHW – Family Home Visiting” in the subject line.
Positions open until filled.