Position: Community Health Worker
Reports to: Program Manager
Supervises: Not applicable
Location: WellShare Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN
WellShare’s Eliminating Health Disparities Program is designed to support and educate the Somali Community on issues that affect long-term health outcomes. Our goal is to use a combination of evidence-based practices along with community knowledge to create strategies that work within the community. The focus of the program is to prevent chronic diseases through a variety of modalities. We are seeking a full-time Community Health Worker (CHW) to join the team.
The CHW will work as a part of a team to design and implement chronic disease prevention programming. This may include home visits, community outreach, individual and group presentations, teaching ongoing classes and activities, building relationships with individuals and supporting partnerships with community agencies and health practitioners.
The position is based out of the WellShare International headquarters office in Minneapolis, but will require travel around the Twin Cities. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) grant-funded position.
- Work within the Somali Community
- Conduct screening and outreach for chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, and diabetes
- Create presentations designed for multiple stakeholders; including but not limited to: community members, medical providers, WellShare staff, and other community groups.
- Teach evidence-based classes
- Work as part of a team
- Give feedback on programming, translation, implementation, and initiatives
- Develop teaching aids
- Data collection, data management, and reporting
- Network and connect with community members and community stakeholders/community organizations
- Provide referral services for community members
- Attend meetings that relate to the project
- Other duties as the program grows
Desired Education and Experience
- CHW Certificate
- Bachelors’ Degree in a health related field; or Associates degree and 1 year of experience as a community health worker; or 2-3 years of experience as a community health worker
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Somali.
- Ability to translate between English and Somali and vice versa.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated successful outreach, community organizing, and facilitation skills.
- Comfortable working with Somali youth, adults, and elders.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when discussing personal information.
- Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, database management, Internet access.
- Ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Familiarity with focus area terminology, health and social services resources and systems and resources available to seniors.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a part of a team and with outside partners.
- Self-starter with the ability to juggle competing priorities and meet deadlines.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB
Applicant must be able to:
- Use the telephone and communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
- Sit at a desk for extended periods and move around the office area throughout the day
- Apply manual dexterity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use
- Possess visual acuity to review detailed reports and information
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Must have a valid driver’s license
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Applicant must be able to use multi-line telephone, calculator, copy machines, computers, and other office equipment.
- Applicant primarily works in an indoor office setting. He/She must be able to go outside in all MN weather conditions and varying temperatures to attend off-site meetings and events.
How to apply
In order to apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “CHW position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.