Community Health Worker
Title: Community Health Worker
Employment Status: Full-time, 40 hours/week, non-exempt (1.0 FTE) (also considering part-time 0.5 FTE, 20 hours per week or 0.75 FTE, 30 hours per week)
Reports To: Program Manager
Compensation: $18 – $24 / per hour.
WellShare International envisions a world where your zip code, your skin color, and your birthplace do not determine your access to quality healthcare, and where all people can achieve optimal health and wellness. Join a dynamic team building a new way of community health programming and social change work to address the impact of systemic racism in people’s ability to live healthy lives.
We are a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with a forty-year history of partnering with communities, health care systems, government, and social service providers to promote health equity and wellbeing. Using a community health worker (CHW) model, we work with immigrant communities in Minnesota and with rural communities in Africa. Our programs serve people across the lifespan – including pregnant women, infants, children, youth, adults, and the elderly.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will work as a part of a team to provide individual and group health education and social service referrals to diverse clients in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The CHW will implement assessment, education, referral and other activities to assist clients in reaching their desired healthy living outcomes.
Both full-time and part-time positions may be available.
Primarily regular day-time, week-day hours, but some evening and weekend hours may be available. Positions will be based out of the WellShare headquarter office in Minneapolis, but will require substantial work time and travel in other locations around the Twin Cities. Positions are grant funded and include benefits including mileage reimbursement.
- Program implementation:
- Assist clients in identifying overall health/life needs and set goals
- Provide health education and coaching to clients in individual and group settings
- Provide referrals for primary and behavioral health care and social services
- Assist clients in connecting with community services and other supports
- Recruit/intake and maintain participants for programming
- Maintain accurate and organized program records
- Provide clear and appropriate oral and/or written communication to partners
- Work cooperatively with partners and stakeholders
- Adhere to reporting requirements as outlined by donor agencies
- Provide content and technical assistance:
- Review all program materials created for technical accuracy
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Experience in public health, social work, or other health-related fields
- Minimum 1 year of experience working or volunteering to provide health education outreach to individuals
- Experience working with immigrant or refugee populations
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with team and partners to plan and implement program activities
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheets, basic database management, presentation software, and internet-based tools
- Passion for assisting individuals to meet their health goals
- Ability to speak a second language – Somali, Karen, Spanish, Hmong, Oromo of particular interest
- Native American cultural identity and understanding of particular interest
- Community Health Worker certificate
Physical Requirements Necessary to Perform This Job
Must be able to:
- Use the telephone and communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
- Sit at a desk for extended periods and travel to multiple locations within a day
- Apply manual dexterity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use
- Possess visual acuity to review detailed reports and information
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Position Open Until Filled. No Phone Calls.
Return to Careers page.
Apply for This Job
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com, with Community Health Worker Position in the subject line.