WellShare International envisions a world where your zip code, your skin color, and your birthplace do not determine your access to quality healthcare, and where all people can achieve optimal health and wellness.
We are a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with a forty-year history of partnering with communities, health care systems, government, and social service providers to promote health equity and wellbeing. Using a community health worker (CHW) model, we work with immigrant communities in Minnesota and with rural communities in Africa. Our programs serve people across the lifespan – including pregnant women, infants, children, youth, adults, and the elderly.
Support the WellShare mission by applying to our Board! Board service is an exciting way to be actively engaged in the public health field and have a real impact. We are seeking a few additional members for our Board of Directors, especially people who are passionate about our work and have skills or perspectives in any of the following areas: fundraising, marketing/brand development, finance, lived experience from one of the communities we serve (Somali, Karen, Latinx, Hmong), or lived experience of immigrating to the U.S.
Position term: Three years (eligible for a second 3-year term)
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Attend all board and committee meetings including quarterly board meetings and special events
- Review board agenda and materials prior to board meetings
- Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies (such as not sharingconfidential organizational information with others who work for competing
organizations or who may use this information to apply for funding)
- Serve on a minimum of one WellShare Board Committee (Executive, Finance,Development, Board Nominations or Ad-Hoc International Committee)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the organization and have a strong personalcommitment to its mission
- Work collaboratively with WellShare Board President, Executive Director, and otherboard members to fulfill the mission of WellShare International
- Promote the organization externally with the larger community by serving as anambassador for WellShare International
- Assist the Executive Director and Board President with networking contacts andopportunities
- Suggest potential new Board members as needed who can make a significantcontribution to the Board
- Participate in strategic planning every 3 years and review strategic plan annually
- Review and approve executive director’s performance and salary annually
- Ensure there is always a succession plan in place for the executive director
- Review the performance of the board on an annual basis
- Review organizational finances on a quarterly basis and the independent audit on anannual basis
- Approve major policies and procedures
- Assist WellShare International to reach its fundraising goals by contributingfinancially on a yearly basis (with the understanding that WellShare will be one of
their top charitable giving contributions)
- If WellShare holds an annual luncheon or other fundraising event, activelyparticipate by serving as a Table Captain and filling up a full table
Ability to: listen deeply, think creatively, and work well with executive director, board officers,
and other board members
Willingness to: ask clarifying and strategic questions, attend all board meetings and special events (as much as possible), actively participate in a board committee, prepare for board meetings in advance, learn about fundraising and stay up-to-date on WellShare program areas and related topics (such as CHWs, health equity, health disparities), help secure financial resources including contributing time and personal funds to the organization, evaluate board and executive director on an annual basis and other tasks as needed
Possess: honesty, integrity, a genuine desire to assist refugee, immigrant, and other vulnerable populations, sensitivity and tolerance of differing viewpoints, and concern about WellShare International’s success
Please submit your resume/CV and a letter of interest to Michelle Heerey, WellShare’s Executive Director, using the following email address: email@example.com.