Community Health Worker – Somali Youth
Position: Community Health Worker – Somali Youth
Reports to: Program Manager
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt (includes full benefits)
WellShare International, a non-profit organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is committed to improving the health of women, children and communities around the world. The organization works on community-based public health programs with refugees and immigrants in Minnesota and also has extensive programming in East Africa. Core competencies include: community health education and training, mobilizing communities for health, developing partnerships, research and evaluation, and employing the Community Health Worker model.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will work as a part of a team to design and implement youth and elder programming in the Somali community throughout the Twin Cities. WellShare International currently runs youth programs at school and community settings throughout the Twin Cities related to nutrition, physical activity, and tobacco. The CHW will help develop and co-teach/facilitate school-based classes and community programming.
Some evenings and weekend hours are required on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. The position is based out of the WellShare headquarter office in Minneapolis, but will require travel around the Twin Cities.
- Program implementation:
- Help prepare content and materials for health education classes and community-based youth groups, under the guidance of Youth Project Coordinator.
- Study, learn, and practice presenting content and be ready to teach classes and facilitate groups.
- Teach wellness classes in school settings.
- Co-facilitate community-based youth programming and health education.
- Recruit and maintain participants for programming.
- Collect program evaluation data from participants and assist with data entry and reporting.
- Maintain accurate and organized program records.
- Maintain positive relationship with appropriate boundaries with participants.
- Maintain positive relationship with program partners, grantors, and other key stakeholders.
- Actively participate in program team meetings.
- Collect and input data from all activities into central database.
- Adhere to reporting requirements as outlined by donor agencies with the assistance of Program Manager and Youth Program Assistant.
- Assist clients in scheduling appointments, arranging transportation, and offering available incentives.
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Desired Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s Degree
- Community Health Worker certificate preferred;
- Passion for working with all age ranges, and in health;
- Ability to speak Somali and English well (many youth involved are Somali).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in public health, social work, youth development or health-related fields
- Minimum 1 year of experience working or volunteering with youth in educational or community settings
- Familiarity with health topics including physical activity, nutrition, and tobacco
- Familiarity with medical terminology, plus health and social services resources and systems
- Experience working with immigrant or refugee populations
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with team and partners to plan and implement program activities
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, database management, presentation software and Internet access.
Incumbent must be able to:
- Use the telephone and communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
- Sit at a desk for extended periods and move around the office area throughout the day
- Apply manual dexterity for computer keyboarding and office equipment use
- Possess visual acuity to review detailed reports and information
- Must have reliable transportation on a daily basis (for outreach purposes)
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Please send a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to WellShare International, via email email@example.com (please put “CHW – Youth Application” in the subject line).
Position open until filled.